Persistance of many vector borne diseases with occurrence of outbreaks pose a formidable challenge to the National control programmes in India. Though, many factors have been realized to be resposible for the operational setbacks, the problem of insecticide resistance in vectors has created more concern and repercussion than any other problem as it is a major constraint facing field operations. The precipitating problem of resistance, particularly in malaria vectors, to the conventional insecticides has emphsized the need to look for strategies, which could counteract or manage this problem. In this situation, detection and monitoring of insecticide resistance in the vectors at an early stage has become crucial so that the resistant management can be introduced in appropriate time for rationalizing the field operation to control the vector borne diseases.
With this view, the Indian Council of Medical Research has establised a Cell towards "Monitoring of insecticide resistance in vectors and developing resistance management control strategies" at the Vecotr Control Research Centre (VCRC), Pondicherry as per the recommendations of the Scientific Advisory Committte 1999.
Objectives of the Cell
- To monitor insecticide resistance development in vectors and devise suitable management control strategies.
- To detect the presence of resistance and cross-resistance in malaria vectors to different insecticides
- monitor levels of resistance over time to time to evaluate the effect of control strategies on resistance
- investigate resistance mechanism and their implication on cross-resistance
- formulate suitable resistance managemnt strategies and
- organize for capacity buiding throughtraining at State/District level.
Activities in Progress
The Cell has been created and will function to meet the objectives during the 10th plan period.
Major activities Planned
- Creation of data-base on insecticide resistance
- TMapping insecticide resistance and cross resistance in vectors
- Capacity building trhough training and workshops
- Assistance in poilicy making on the use of insecticide in public health and management of resistance
- Documentation and dissemination of information to public health personnel, researchers and academicians through networking.