click here for ribosomal mitochondrian genes of mosquitoes
Sequencing Projects are currently going on in the following mosquitoes.
- Anopheles quadrimaculatus
- Culex pipiens
- Aedes aegypti
- Aedes albopictus
- Aedes triseriatus
The ongoing sequencing efforts of mosquito genome structure and organization will assist the development of malaria control strategies and improved anti-malarial drugs and vaccines.
Anopheles gambiae is the primary vector that transmits human malaria.
The Total no.of bases sequenced 278Mbps
- Complete mitochondrian genome is sequenced
- The total no.of bases sequenced is 15455 bp
- The Western Nile Virus (WNV) is a member of the Flaviviridae family and it is transmitted by the Culex pipiens mosquito
- The Culex pipiens genome is composed by three paired polytene chromosomes.
- Genome size has been estimated to be approximately 540 Mb
- Transmits Dengue fever.
The first DNA-based, complete mosquito genetic map was constructed for A. aegypti.
- The A. aegypti genome is 764-813 Mb